At ALC, the impact of a well groomed, impressive personality & effective communication is well understood and that directs towards a strong impetus on overall personality development of the student. In sync with this mindset, an in-house Center for Skill Development has been set up to cater to the captive demands of the corporate. To increase the relevance with future employment market including promotion of self employment, a two pronged initiative – Soft Skills and Employability Skills has been made an integral part of Skill Development under CSD. This further caters to various aspects of development in the different semesters, emphasizing on identifying and developing individual learning and development needs of the students, covering various behavioral & communication aspects, customized training solutions to hone the required competencies, employability skills and making students ready for the professional world.
Under the CSD umbrella, a thriving and impactful mentoring program “Crafting Prodigy” is in place, where customized attention is the focus. Every student is assigned to a ‘CRAFTER’ who provides personalized attention towards identifying the strengths and weaknesses of the individual and focuses on building their capabilities and skills needed to succeed in a dynamic legal environment; in other words crafting the ‘PRODIGY’.
A dossier incorporating an Individual Development Plan, is created mapping the entire journey of the prodigy through skill development to a well groomed competent professional ready to take on the world.
- Extensive Training Workshops (Indoor & Outdoor)
- Continuous Evaluation Strategies undertaken for students
- Focus on Case Studies, Role Plays & Project Handling
- Usage of Audio Visual & Simulation Techniques
- Formation of Literary Clubs
- Corporate Interface Visits
- Guest Lectures by eminent corporate professionals
SOFT SKILLS AND PERSONALITY DEVELOPMENT
Individual Development Plan
Emphasizes on identifying and developing Individual Learning and Development needs of the students. This covers various Behavioral & Communication aspects.
• Effective Communication Skills
• Personality Development
• Self Motivation
• Attitude and Motivation
• Emotional Intelligence
• Mechanics of Public Speaking
• Self Management
• Self Confidence
Competency Development Plan
This focuses more on customized training solutions to hone the required competencies and skills and making students ready for the professional world.
• Goal Setting
• Working in teams
• Convincing & Influencing Skills
• Time Management
• Leadership Skills
• Interpersonal Skills
• Presentation Skills
• Corporate Communication
• Resume Writing
• GD and Interview Skills
The Language Lab at Asian Law College, Noida, has been created to facilitate classroom engagement and interaction via computer-based exercises and activities to maximize proficiency in language components (vocabulary and pronunciation) and in language skills (listening, speaking, reading and writing).
The College has well equipped language lab open to all students with WIFI system, along with computer systems which are used by students during foreign language classes enhancing their capacity and skills over foreign languages.
A blended methodology of both ILT (Instructor Led Training) and CBT (Computer Based Train is adopted in the language lab with the help of faculty members, explaining the language concepts, guiding the students through the different modules and then the students proceeding to practice them individually at their own computer systems in the lab.
OBJECTIVES OF A LANGUAGE LABS
The students thereby learn more comprehensively through the use of the language lab as it caters to the following objectives in the teaching learning experience:
- Self-Learning: With the teacher introducing the course materials and then it proceeds to self-guided independent learning wherein the students can individually focus and practice on language skills that they are less proficient in.
- Complimentary Learning: The language lab allows students to reinforce the subject modules learnt during their classroom lectures and practice the tasks proactively through interactive activities.
- Monitoring and Evaluation: The faculty members get to monitor student lab activities and receive instant reports on their performance in tasks which can be utilized to customize the teaching and learning activities to maximize language competence in the lab and in the classroom.
- Focussed Guidance: It is easy to guide the groups by monitoring each student independently without disturbing the others students.
- Medium of interactivity: The students can record their own voice and play back the recordings, interact with each other and the teacher, and store the results.
BENEFITS OF LANGUAGE LABS.
- Language labs are becoming highly valued in schools, colleges and universities because they offer students a structured e-learning environment that is successful and reliable.
- New technologies are increasingly introduced in the classrooms, as they facilitate the teacher’s role in creating a more attractive learning environment for the student. It also offers their students additional practice hours and up-to-date exercises than can be found in language books.
- Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing (LSRW) are the four skills which play an important role in the acquisition of language and learning.
- English Language Lab has a tradition of helping learners to improve their English, whether for work, personal enrichment or English for Academic Purposes (EAP).
- The language lab is a very useful tool that facilitates classroom engagement and interaction via computer-based exercises and activities to maximize language immersion.
- These labs provide a very different experience from the traditional system of teaching and learning languages, offering more advanced features and functionalities.
Therefore, the Language lab at Asian Law College plays a crucial role in developing the communication skills of our students which would also brighten their prospects in placement activities.
Computers have become an integral part of our lives. In fact, many people use them in colleges, homes, and the workplace. It has become imperative to know basic computer skills to survive in the world. In college, many students acquire basic computer skills that equip them with the knowledge to operate a computer, such as sending emails, conducting Internet research, creating word processing documents and creating presentations. The days of textbook only research and handwritten submissions are over. With the advent of web-enhanced courses, student must possess basic computer skills in order to execute commands in basic computer applications. These basic computer skills help students excel in college and eventually carry over with them into the workforce. Exercising and advancing computer literacy skills can also lead to greater opportunities in life.
Computer literacy is the knowledge and ability to use computers and technology efficiently. Computer literacy can also refer to the comfort level someone has with using computer programs and other applications that are associated with computers. The precise definition of “computer literacy” can vary from group to group. However, “computer literate” often begins with the ability to use several specific applications such as Microsoft Word, PPTs, Microsoft Excel.
ABOUT COMPUTER TRAINING PROGRAMME
This basic computer training programme inaugurated in Asian Law College is to provide the students with an understanding of the most basic, popular and current technologies used in the legal profession, in colleges, at home and in the workplace. Through this training the students will become computer literate in this hands-on course while they learn to access, create, save and manage documents, spreadsheets, power points, emails and use the Internet effectively.
This training is designed for students after their completion of the first semester at Asian Law College.
Objectives of the training:
This training aims to familiarize the students with computers, Microsoft word, Power Point Presentations and Microsoft Excel for the purpose of making them a better researcher, writer, presenter and excellent interns. The objective of the training are:
- To show an awareness of what the major computer components are and how they act as system
- To acquaint students with knowledge of the computer systems with emphasis on their uses and limitation
- To appreciate that computers need instructions to operate and to acquire simple programming skills
- To demonstrate a knowledge and understanding of using computers to solve problems related to practical applications;
- To show an awareness of the effects and impacts of computers on the individual and the society;
- To show positive attitudes for adapting to and coping with a changing society with widespread utilization of computers
The computer training programme is given to the BALLB and LLB students towards the end of their second semester.
One of the most used programs, MS Word is a word processor developed by Microsoft which is used to make professional-quality documents, letters, reports, etc. It has advanced features which allow the students to format and edit files and documents in the best possible way. It is of immense help for a student when he begins his law school career. It is the initiation of project work, assignments, storing contents etc. The following are the components of MS Word that the students are taught:
This has options like font colour, font size, font style, alignment, bullets, line spacing, etc. All the basic elements which one may need to edit their document is available under the Home option. This tab gives you access to the most commonly used commands and is displayed by default when you open an instance of Word. This tab is reasonably consistent across Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
Insert & Design
Tables, shapes, images, charts, graphs, header, footer, page number, etc. can all be entered in the document. They are included in the “Insert” category.
The template or the design which one desires can be selected under the Design tab .Choosing an appropriate tab will enhance the appearance of the document.
The Layout is the arrangement or setting of some pages or whole document based upon the content requirement. Setting Margins, Orientations, Sizes Columns and Spacing of a page is a very important process before taking printout. On the layout tab, we can see various groups such as Page Setup, Paragraph and Arrange, and each group contains different commands to work. Under the Page Layout tab comes options like margins, orientation, columns, lines, indentation, spacing, etc.
References & Review
Microsoft Word has a simple built-in reference function at the References tab. Here you can manually enter references and refer to them in the text and create a bibliography in the most common styles. This tab is the most useful for those who are creating a thesis or writing books or lengthy documents. Options like citation, footnote, table of contents, caption, bibliography, etc. can be found under this tab.
Spell check, grammar, Thesaurus, word count, language, translation, comments, etc. can all be tracked under the review tab. This acts as an advantage for those who get their documents reviewed on MS Word.
MS Excel is a commonly used Microsoft Office application. It is a spreadsheet program which is used to save and analyse numerical data. This learning gives an edge to the students in their internships, in placements, in future employment and research. Their utility is enhanced by the learning of this basic. Microsoft Excel has the basic features of all spreadsheets, using a grid of cells arranged in numbered rows and letter-named columns to organize data manipulations like arithmetic operations. It has a battery of supplied functions to answer statistical, engineering, and financial needs. In addition, it can display data as line graphs, histograms and charts, and with a very limited three-dimensional graphical display.
The following are taught to the students as a part of MS Excel
The Home Tab in Microsoft Excel has a lot of functionality for number crunching built right into it. You can do things like formatting, alignment, inserting and deleting rows or columns, sorting and filtering numbers, applying styles and formatting effects, finding and replacing data and much more using the Tab.Comprises options like font size, font styles, font colour, background colour, alignment, formatting options and styles, insertion and deletion of cells and editing options
Comprises options like table format and style, inserting images and figures, adding graphs, charts and sparklines, header and footer option, equation and symbols
Page Layout is used to describe the group of commands that control how a spreadsheet will appear when printed. The most popular commands are Margins, Repeated Titles, Headings, Headers and Footers, Background, Orientation and Paper Size. Themes and page setup options are also available under the page layout option
Since tables with a large amount of data can be created in MS excel, under this feature, you can add formulas to your table and get quicker solutions
Data, Review ,View
Adding external data (from the web), filtering options and data tools are available under this category. Proofreading can be done for an excel sheet (like spell check) in the review category and a reader can add comments in this part . Different views in which we want the spreadsheet to be displayed can be edited here. Options to zoom in and out and pane arrangement are available under this category
MS POWER POINT
MS PowerPoint is a program that is used to make presentations for personal and professional purposes. It is of immense help to the students for providing presentations in classrooms. A good grasp on this skill would ensure the learning of the following aspects of the PPT. PowerPoint was originally designed to provide visuals for group presentations within business organizations, but has come to be very widely used in many other communication situations, both in business and beyond. The impact of this much wider use of PowerPoint has been experienced as a powerful change throughout society, with strong reactions including advice that it should be used less, should be used differently, or should be used better. They are:
Multiple options and layouts are available based on which a presentation can be created. This option is available under the “Home” section and one can select from the multiple layout options provided.
Insert – Clipart, Video, Audio, etc.
Under the “Insert” category, multiple options are available where one can choose what feature they want to insert in their presentation. This may include images, audio, video, header, footer, symbols, shapes, etc.
MS PowerPoint has various themes using which background colour and designs or textures can be added to a slide. This makes the presentation more colourful and attracts the attention of the people looking at it.
During the slide show, the slides appear on the screen one after the other. In case, one wants to add some animations to the way in which a slide presents itself, they can refer to the “Animations” category.
OUTCOME OF THE PROGRAMME:
By the end of this training, the students will be able:
- To appropriately start up and shut down the computer and to enable the students to be well acquainted with the system.
- To navigate the operating system and start applications. This is how a journey of a young lawyer, researcher begins.
- To perform basic functions in of MS Word, MS Excel and MS Power Point so that it helps in their assignments, internships and researching skills.
- To receive and send emails and to use a web browser to navigate the Internet.